When I saw this Queen Anne dresser sitting in my sister’s garage several months ago my heart did a little flip. It. Was. Gorgeous. The lines. The hardware. The fact that it had never been painted, stained or coloured in any way. It was swoon worthy!As my heart went pitter patter, I tentatively asked where she got it and what she was doing with it. Her answer was like the sky had opened up and the angels were singing… “It’s for you!” she said “and I got it for free!!” “Do you want it?”
Ummmm… you have to ask??
Physically it was in pretty bad shape despite it’s raw beauty. It was rickety and the drawers were falling apart but I didn’t care one bit!As soon as I was able to, I got it moved to my house and I began it’s transformation. To start, I took apart the two large drawers and re-glued the dovetailing. They were in bad shape.
While I was literally waiting for the glue to dry, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decide what to do about the hardware. The hardware was in great shape, was very heavy and suited the piece but I hated the gold colour. If I was going to change it though, now was the time before I began the painting so that I could fill in the current holes.I ended up deciding to keep the current pieces and toned down the gold by rubbing on some Silver Leaf Rub ‘n Buff. (for more Rub ‘n Buff ideas and directions, see here) I love, love, love how they turned out and am so happy that I decided to re-use them!Once I had that decision done and knew that I didn’t need to fill any holes, I quickly got to the painting! I chose Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint in Bergere. Bergere is a smoky blue with grey undertones that reminds me of water in a lake.I applied only one coat of the Bergere because I loved how it showed the wood tone through the paint and made the piece feel like the paint had been on there for a century. Two coats would have made the paint too opaque and wouldn’t have suited the Queen Anne piece at all in this case.After painting on the coat of milk paint, I did some light distressing in places where the piece would have naturally received wear and tear had it been painted many years ago. Distressing always makes me feel like I am giving a piece some character and a story. The final step on this piece was to decide what to do with the gorgeous piece of wood on top. It had quite a few water stains on it but I just couldn’t bare to paint it. I ended up lightly sanding it down and then rubbed on two coats of Miss Mustard Seed Hemp Oil to bring it back to life.I am sooo glad that I left the top natural! I love how it ties the piece all together.I am absolutely in love with this piece and it fits perfectly in my living room. I have no intention of getting rid of this one any time soon and the fact that it was able to be redone with just a little paint, hemp oil and some silver paste is a testament to what can be achieved!