The paint used for this project was generously provided by DecoArt but the genuine opinions expressed are completely my own.
Last month I shared with you about a group that I am apart of called The Fab Furniture Flippin’ contest. Each month as we try out new products we also get to participate in a challenge!
How cool is that?! In January, I recreated an antique bookcase (you can see it here) and this month I gave a vintage dresser a complete makeover. For this month’s “Make A Statement” project, I used [easyazon_link identifier=”B00HQKCP0A” locale=”US” tag=”recredesig20-20″]DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint[/easyazon_link]. I have never had the opportunity to use DecoArt.com products (except in little craft sizes) so was excited to try a new-to-me paint. Their Chalky Finish Paint is an ultra-matte paint that comes in a ton of gorgeous colours. For the project I had in mind, I chose [easyazon_link identifier=”B00HO039QG” locale=”US” tag=”recredesig20-20″]Romance[/easyazon_link]; a deep raspberry red with a pink undertone and [easyazon_link identifier=”B00HQKCP0A” locale=”US” tag=”recredesig20-20″]Innocence[/easyazon_link]; the softest of petal pinks. To get started, I removed the old hardware and filled in the existing holes. I then lightly sanded down the peeling finish and that was it. The DecoArt Chalky Finish paint is designed to stick to and cover many surfaces so I didn’t really need to do much prep. I used three coats of the Romance to cover the entire dresser. Even though this is a very thick paint, I wanted three coats to get a nice even finish over all of the scratches. I had forgotten to remove the embellishment off of the front of the dresser before I began painting… oops… so I just did it after and just touched up that spot. To embrace the “Make a Statement” theme this month, I wanted to do something bold and bright. I decided to paint a huge flower on the front of the dresser so once the Romance had dried, I chalked out the giant flower. By chalking out the flower first, it allowed me to play with the position and shape of the flower before painting it. I was able to use a damp cloth to just rub it off and change it where needed and it didn’t bother the paint underneath at all!
Once I had the shape and position of the flower I wanted, I outlined it with a dark grey coloured paint. I used the Chalky Finish Paint in Innocence to fill in the flower once the outline had completely dried. When I received the dresser, the inside of the drawers had some horribly awful plastic liner in them from 1970 that HAD to go. After getting it out, I painted the drawers with the contrasting Innocence colour to add some more depth and statement. To finish the piece off, I gave the entire dresser two coats of the [easyazon_link identifier=”B00HO038Q2″ locale=”US” tag=”recredesig20-20″]Light Satin Varnish[/easyazon_link], drilled holes for the hardware and put the new knobs in place. I absolutely love the contrast of the Romance and the Innocence. What a lovely pair they make!
And… the large, whimsical flower on the front was the perfect adornment for the bold new piece.
This vintage dresser was in such bad shape and thanks to some DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint is does not even look like the same piece. Making a statement now isn’t a problem for this piece and all that it took was a little paint. To see some other incredible “Make a Statement” projects by the Fab Furniture Flippin’ Contest hosts, please visit Charlotte at Ciburbanity and Carrie at Thirty Eighth Street.
For more information about joining the Fab Furniture Flippin’ Contest, please email [email protected].
**Please note that this post includes Affiliate links, for your convenience, for products that are used in this project that I have tried and use regularly. By using the link, it in no way increases the cost of the product to you should you choose to buy. However, by using the link, a small portion of the sale is given back to me to help fund this blog.**