With everyone cooped up inside and facing uncertain futures, we need something happy and bright to focus on for a little while to give ourselves a break. With Easter this week and warmer weather inching closer I think it’s time for a little Spring cheer… wouldn’t you agree?
Since nothing is physically open where I am, I have challenged myself to sort through and use what I have at home for my creative projects. It’s actually been fun to “shop” my house and come up with things to create using only what I have on hand. In fact… it has been so fun that I think I might make a little game of it. I am going to let you all choose what I use for a future project and get in on the fun! I will send more details on that later this week though or can you keep an eye out over on Facebook for more details.
For this project, I picked some things out myself. I grabbed an old door and a new IOD mold that I had picked up, before the home confinement, and came up with something Springy that would add some cheer to my decor.
Vintage Inspired Chalkboard
A few years ago I had purchased two of these really old doors (for $2 each) and even though they were both chewed up, crooked, and holey, I instantly loved them. The wide thick moldings and wear at the bottom was charming and even though I had no idea if the wear was from continually rubbing over something or from someone nibbling on it, I loved them none the less.
I didn’t need to do much to get the door I used ready for the project except remove the hardware and give it a good cleaning with soap and water.
Once it was ready, the frame got a very light coat of Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Old Ochre with a loose, natural bristle chip brush. I wanted the paint to look old and worn so didn’t worry too much about getting it even or perfect. For the inside of the door, I wanted it to have a vintage chalkboard look. Using two parts Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk paint in Boxwood with one part Artissimo it was the perfect old school chalkboard green colour. I also added just a little bit of Miss Mustard Seed’s Bonding Agent to the mix for added stick.
IOD Mold – He Loves Me
With the door painted and ready to go it was time to move onto the Springy part of the project. Luckily I had the He Loves Me IOD mold on hand and a package of paper clay. If you have not used paper clay and molds before you are missing out! They are so much fun and there is soo much you can do with them! I always like to dust the mold with corn starch before filling the molds. This will allow the clay to easily pop out of the mold when you go to remove them. This is especially important if your clay is wet and sticky. With my mold ready to go, I made several molds of each flower and a whole bunch of leaves in both sizes. I laid them out on wax paper when I removed them from the mold to keep them flat.
Painting the Flowers
Wanting my Spring board to have a very vintagey feel, the flowers needed to have muted and worn colours. I mixed up some Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk paint in Mustard Seed Yellow, Apron Strings, Tricycle, and Outback Petticoat for the flowers and Lucketts Green and some of the vintage chalkboard colour I had left for the leaves. At a ratio of 4 parts water to one part mix, there was just a hint of colour in the water and it made the paint almost translucent when brushed on.
To add some colour dimension to the flowers, I also brushed on some dry paint mix. While the molds were still wet from the watery paint mixture, I dipped a small paintbrush into the dry paint mix and brushed in over parts of each flower. The chalky mix stuck to the wet surface and added some great texture and colour variation. I should note that I painted and added the dry mix while the paper clay was still wet. I wanted the paper clay to dry with the paint on it so that the paint would seep into the paper clay while it was set and then they would crack together like they had aged over time.
Adding the Flowers
I left the painted flowers and leaves overnight to dry. By the next morning they were not completely dry, but enough that I was able to lay them out on the painted door and arrange them. Once I had them in an order I liked, I brushed on some wood glue to the back of each and stuck them onto the wood. While the wood glue was drying and the door was laying flat, I finished off the leaves and flowers by adding a little bit of clear and dark wax just to highlight little bits of each one.
A Touch of Spring
Have you added or created things these past few weeks that make you smile and bring you some good cheer? I would love to hear and see what you have been up to. We are all in this together and that means creating together too!
Never miss a vintage find, creative project or rustic upcycle again. Join me on my journey here… and be the first to hear all about my upcoming Book release as well;
Cottage Projects With a Vintage Flair.
If you happen to be in the Ottawa area (or anywhere in Ontario for that matter) everything I used in this project (except the wood glue and old door) can be found at Malenka Originals.
This is not a sponsored project but, she is one of my favourite local businesses, and during this unprecedented time, we need to support our small businesses more than ever. If you decide to make this project or need supplies for your own projects, please consider ordering from her or any of your areas’ small businesses. It is just another way that we can support those around us.
If you would like to order from Katrina at Malenka Originals,
you can find her shop here and she is still currently able to ship all of her products.